Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kallion kulttuuriverkosto -logo

I live in the Kallio neighborhood of Helsinki and I like the area. It used to be a working-class area and still has a lot of young people and students so it's quite lively. Lots of drunks too of course. It's pretty densely populated, for Helsinki standards at least.

Kallion kulttuuriverkosto (Kallio Cultural Network) is a local organization that arranges events in and near the neighborhood. They had a logo contest, and while I usually don't take part in those, I thought I'd make an exception because it's sort of for the neighborhood and for a non-profit organization. Anyway, I apparently won the contest with the entry pictured here.

Above is a black & white version and below a color one.
The name of the organization is quite long, typical for Finnish language. And I didn't want to have a very long logotype so I had to hyphenate it. Kulttuuriverkosto is a compound word so there was a natural place to cut it. I started building the logo from small vector elements on a grid, a bit like building Legos™®©. First I made the regular letters but then decided there should be some interplay between the letters and lines, so I built some more organic forms in by connecting things to each other.

I put the small circles at the ends of some letters and then started thinking they look a bit like plant seeds. So I figured they can represent the plants growing from the cracks in alphalt, and symbolically maybe some events happening on the streets.

The whole shape of the logo is not confined to a square but instead seems to grow a bit into each direction. That is a symbol for the events taking place in not just Kallio, but around the "edges" as well. Of course, everyone seems to have a bit different definition for where the borders are.

I made this quite quickly so I didn't make optical corrections to the lines (horizontals should be slightly thinner than verticals so they would appear the same visually), but since the shape is sort of complex, that is not the first thing that bothers the eye.

I haven't seen the logo been used that much, and it's usually used quite small. Would be nice to see it used larger too, but maybe they're still practicing. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the result.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay congratulations, and Kallio rocks! :)