Monday, August 22, 2011

ArtovaKino film club Logo


I'm slowly returning from long summer vacations, and it's time to start posting again. I was asked to make a logo / identity for a film club that takes place in autumn in Helsinki. There used to be an active film club tradition in Finland but it's lately been fading away. These guys want to revive it, and that's a very good thing.

I wanted to make something that play with transparency and give an impression of light, like the British Film Institute and Cinémathèque Française logos have. That is naturally very fitting for projected art. I started with some hand-made lettering but I couldn't quite make them work. Eventually I took a more geometrical approach that seemed to work much better in this case.

The logo is formed of lines but their thickness and coloring vary according to application. The basic form with thin black lines is for white backgrounds:


The basic color logo is the headline image of this post. Below it is placed on top of an image, the transparency gives nice effects on the colors.


When the lines grow even thicker, the form turns more abstract. Also, different line thicknesses on the colors break the forms up nicely. The basic form of the letters remains the same.



I'm working on an animation also to be shown before the screenings.

ArtovaKino website.

3 comments:

Alexa Kirsten Stroth said...

I felt strangely compelled to tell you how much I like this logo design, and since I (out of principle) do not "like" things on facebook -- here I am.

Nice job, Tero.

julie said...

hi gÜÜti
I'm a french photographer living in paris.
It's absolutely beautiful, I love it
bravo !! julie

Güüti said...

Thanks, Alexa and julie!